Monday, June 1, 2009

Asian commentary on Africa

I've started this blog because there's surprisingly little commentary on Asian interaction with Africa, especially from an Asian perspective.

I believe Africa is poised to become the next emerging market, and Asians, particularly China and India, are beginning to see the opportunities for growth in the continent. But there is a lot of uncertainty and ignorance on either side of the divide. Much of the analysis comes from Western perspectives, or are buried in arcane academic discourse - this blog aims to be a small part in bridging this gap.

In the near future, I will take a stab at the recent debate generated by Dambisa Moyo's book, Dead Aid, particularly from an Asian point of view. I also hope to discuss some of the growing debate about growth opportunities, the thinking behind Asian investment and growth models, and how these might work in Africa.

I was born and raised in West Africa, though spent later years in Singapore, tertiary education in the UK, and have now worked professionally in East Africa and Singapore, where I reside. I've worked in both profit and non-profit sectors, and believe both sides have much to learn from each other, which I hope will become apparent in later posts and discussions.

Thanks for reading. Questions are very welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment